A six-year-old boy from Brooklyn has reportedly become the latest victim of Samsung’s disastrous exploding Galaxy Note 7 batteries.
The boy had been using the device at his family home when it “suddenly burst into flames,” according to the New York Post. He was rushed to hospital with burns to his body.
Samsung issued a recall of 2.5 million of its latest flagship phone on September 2—which had only been released the previous month—after 35 reports that lithium batteries were exploding while they were being charged.
The American aviation regulator and various Australian airlines were joined by India today in asking customers not to charge or turn on their Galaxy Note 7s while in the air, even though the South Korean manufacturer has said that only a fraction of its batteries are at risk. In its recall announcement, it said that only 24 units in a million were affected.
Samsung’s shares dived sharply during Monday trading, hitting a two-month low and wiping 15.9 trillion won (£10.7 billion) off its market value.
The injured boy’s grandmother said that the fire caused by the phone was strong enough to “set off alarms in my house.”
“He is home now,” Linda Lewis told press. “He doesn’t want to see or go near any phones. He’s been crying to his mother.”
In a statement issued on Saturday, Samsung’s president of mobile communications DJ Koh urged phone owners to participate in the recall “as soon as possible.”
Our number one priority is the safety of our customers. We are asking users to power down their Galaxy Note 7s and exchange them as soon as possible. We are expediting replacement devices so that they can be provided through the exchange program as conveniently as possible and in compliance with related regulations. We sincerely thank our customers for their understanding and patience.
To get involved with the recall, Samsung is advising customers to return to the shop where they bought the device, or to get in touch directly. If you’ve recently bought a Galaxy Note 7, check the box to see if it has markings to confirm that it’s a non-explosive device; if it lacks those markings on the label, return it.
This post originated on Ars Technica UK